The most common cause of no carrier detected is dialing a long distance number and not dialing '1' before the number.
The no carrier detected termination message is reported when a modem dials out, connects to something, but cannot detect a fax transmission carrier (fax modem, fax machine, etc.) to pick up the fax transmission. This can be caused by one of several factors including:
1. There is no fax hardware on the receiving end which could include the call being answered by an answering machine, a person, etc.
2. The call was answered by an automatic recording from the phone company, such as "Number not in service", "Number dialed incorrectly", etc
3. The fax machine or hardware could be turned off or not have power, and as such may not be answering incoming faxes
- Verify that the receiving end has there fax hardware hooked up, powered on, and ready to answer
- Double check that the number dialed is sstill in service by either dialing it with a handset or contacting the individual directly
- Make sure that you have entered the number correctly, just as if you had dialed the number on a handset. Be sure to dial 1 before long distance phone numbers (if required) and also make sure that you dial 9 to get an outside line (if required).